2015/07/10

Day 121: The Maze Runner (July, 8)

A busy day, a happy night meeting old and dear friends, coming home late... And still no movie in this day. Two nieces by heart told me about The Maze Runner, and I decided to see it then. 

I've read the first pages of the book, and knew nothing about it except that a boy arrives at a place inside a metal box and doesn't remember anything about his life. And this way, despite being sleepy and tired, in a super cold night, I was very interested in what I was seeing.

That's new for me, I usually know about the story in a book adaptation to movies. It was a novelty not knowing what would come next. The action is good, jumpy... the characters are not the best I've seen, but I could relate to them. I wanted to know what was going to happen, and that's essential in a story too. The ending is not over original, some of it we could expect by its similarity to other current dystopian stories, but it was not infamous as many. The usual elements are there, but on the first hour I was asking myself how they could present the expected love interest in here... soon came my answer. Probably, what will come next will be even more recognizable, but I'm looking forward to it.  This way, at the end of the night, the beginning of a new day actually, it was nice reaching this film in a day that I wouldn't be able to see nothing too serious. 

I want to end this post saying that it is a tricky thing be a teenager in present days, specially on fiction. I love dystopian narratives, and most of it nowadays aims young readers. So we see more and more unfortunate brave and creative teens facing terrible obstacles in order to lessen the injustice in the world. Not so fictional after all. 

The Maze Runner. Directed by Wess Ball. With: Dulan O'Brien, Kaya
Scodelario, Will Poulter. Writers: Noah Oppenheim et al. from the book
by James Dashner. US, 2014, 113 min., Dolby/Dolby Digital/Datasat/Dolby
Atmos/Auro 11.1, Color (DVD). 


No comments:

Post a Comment