2015/07/11

Day 123: The Burning Plain (July, 10)

The Burning Plain is, sorry the pun, a plain movie. Its fragmented narrative, the mysterious connexion between characters and time lines, secretive motives behind their actions... even that does not turn this movie in something more. It is interesting, with a good cast, an ok editing. But nothing more than that. I wasn't moved by it, wasn't anxious to know what would happen next, and at the beginning had already discovered its "big secret"  (not usual for me, knowing the mystery before hand).

Jennifer Lawrence presents a strong performance here, two years before her big break, Winter's Bone, 2010 (outstanding movie, if you haven't see it yet). Charlize Theron is anguished, sad. Both actress carry themselves in a manner that regards the story in a good way. But there wasn't anything else for me, and it is a movie with a storyline that usually gets my attention - our link to familiar heritage. At the end, however, I was trying to figure out what I would write in here, because this movie told me not much, as you can see by this post. 


The Burning Plain. Directed and written by Guillermo Arriaga. With:
Charlize Theron, Jennifer Lawrence, Kim Bassinger
(long time no see).
US/Argentina, 2008, 107 min., Dolby Digital/DTS/SDDS, Color (Netflix).

No comments:

Post a Comment