2015/07/16

Day 128: Paper Towns (July, 15)

I hadn't planned to see the new adaptation of a John Green's book today, and even so there I was, in a crowded cinema, with the unexpected company of a beloved friend, lots of popcorn and candy. An unexpected happy end to a weird day. 

The thing that I appreciate most when I see a JG book in the cinema is all the production's care in order to tell a story that are loved by so many. This kind of attentive care has been increasing regarding the adaptation of YA novels for a couple of years now, and it has been a joy to see this care. A good story has no age or specific public only, and the more recent adaptations bring this idea beautifully.

This way, with the involvement of John Green in the production, Paper Towns is a movie true to its original. Some facts are different, but that is not the most important thing in an adaptations. The story and characters are there, with the help of an amazingly good cast, and that is what matter at the end.  I must say, though, that the fundamental scene in the book was a bit rushed in the movie, unfortunately. Margo and Quentin's adventurous ninja night was too fast, too shallow, compared to its depth in the book. That's my only but... and an essential one. This scene could and should have been better. At least, it is still alive there, in the book, in its greatness. I don't think I'm being picky... my disappointment could almost be heard actually.

As were my laughs, too loud for anyone's sake. I laughed out loud while reading the book, so much that I had to stop my times to get myself together. I laughed less in the movie, but enough to embarrass my more controlled dignified friend. And to talk about control, the surprising cameo got everyone giggling and even screaming almost hysterically (not me, of course). It is sweet and a good link to other John Green stories that I hope will become a tradition in the next adaptations. 

What a person is, beyond our own views, can be a mystery. It is usual that we project an image on someone only to be surprised when the person is in fact different from our idea of them. But this is our problem to solve, and Paper Towns refers to that task in the funny and sweet way that is a trademark of John Green stories. Fortunately :)


Paper Towns. Directed by Jack Schreier. With: Nat Wolff, Cara Delevingne,
Justice Smith, Austin Abrams. Writers: Scott Neustaudner and Michael H.
Weber from the book by John Green. US, 2015,  109 min., Color (Cinema).


PS: There are a few recurring things in John Green's stories: tulips, the sentence "I love you present tense"... and The Mountain Goats, his favorite band. Here's an easter egg in Paper Towns related to it:





PPS: I've read the four JG's solo books in a roll, during five days. First was An Abundance of Katherines, my favorite - I'm not being contrary here, but I really liked, and yes, I know it is the less favorite JG book by most of his readers. After came all the heartbreak and blinding tears of TFIOS. Finally, Paper Towns - the cow scene had me in laughing tears. The last one was actually John Green's debut, Looking for Alaska, my less favorite. It is was suffocating, actually, without any of his easy way of telling coming of age tales that we see in his subsequent books. 







3 comments:

  1. A happy end indeed <3
    It is great to see that YA novels' adaptations are becoming better. It's one of the best feelings to go to the movies see the adaptation to one of your favorite books and truly enjoy it. Glad you liked it! Can't wait to read Paper Towns and see how this experience of watching the movie first turns out!

    PS: I believe I laughed harder and louder than you hahah no embarrasment involved. ever <3 thanks for the lovely evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heye! It was lovely!!! Thanks a bunch :)

      I'm gonna read Paper Towns again - we can't change impressions...Btw, You didn't laugh harder, I'm sure lol.

      I hope that these good times in book adaptations will hold a little longer. Eleanor & Park is going to be adapted this year :)

      Delete
  2. i see this movie yesterday .. i like it

    ReplyDelete