2015/08/06

Day 149: The Breakfast Club (August, 5)

The first time I've seen The Breakfast Club was with my dear and old friend Pan (one of my dearest and older friends btw) during an English class. Her teacher at the time allowed me to his class, invited by her, to see this movie that we've heard so much buzz about, but never had the chance to watch it. The squared city where I live was a ghost town at the '80s, so usually many films didn't show at the theaters here. We used to talk about The Breakfast Club at school, with another cinephile friend - that actually became a filmmaker and photographer (Hello, Neném), and  could not wait to see it. So, at a hot afternoon after school, both of us were on our way to see The Breakfast Club. And it as enthralling, despite the fact that I didn't understand one word that was being said.

This way, when the movie got three special showings on this week, Pan, Dea (another dearest and oldest :) and I immediately arranged to meet at the theater to finally see it properly. But the universe is a cruel master (I'm not overreacting, I promise), and a sore throat prevented me to be with them. I'm nothing but persistent when movies and friends are involved, and so I decided to see the movie at home, at the same time of the theater's screening. Pan texted me "it's on!". So I turned on the DVD player and began to see this beloved movie for the millionth time. Not before telling them to have fun and, of course, "Don't you forget about me" :)

Among many and many good teen movies, from the '80s or from the current times, The Breakfast Club is by far my favorite. I'm very sure of that, even if it's usually difficult to me to ascertain such preferences. I like too many things for different reasons, and pointing a sure favorite is not easy. However, in this case, I've absolutely no doubt. Thirty years have passed since its premiere, still TBC is not old to me, at least yet. I start to cry in the Bowie's quote, with the Anthony Michael Hall's voice narrating, and end it in the same way, with tears on my eyes in front of  Judd Nelson's raised fist. Too many remembrances, I guess. And recognition. 



"And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going though"
And let's try to not forget that. Never.


It is odd how this movie is still relevant to me, even in a different time and place from that first one, at a small class in a English school, in a squared city in the middle of Brazil, with my best friend in the world and high expectations. It is not a surprise that I still care to get emotional. 

After the synchronized screenings, we were texting each other. How the view about teenage years is accurate despite the diferent times. How How Allison is a version of Dea (it never ceases to amaze me), how some things are different from what the girls remembered. Pan thought it was pretty slow. Dea didn't remember seeing it at all. And I was here, at home, with tears on my eyes, happy that, despite so many changes and all the growing up stuff, what never changes is how this amazing two friends are fundamental in my life. And, along with them, there are all the movies that help to tell the story of our precious and cherished friendship. 


The Breakfast Club. Directed and written by John Hughes. With: Judd
Nelson, Emilio Estevez,  Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael
Hall. USA, 1985, 97 min., Dolby, Color (DVD).


PS: There are some interesting facts about this production according to the trivia on imdb.com. I've read before about John kapelo's jocking about Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now without knowing he's Emilio Estevez's father, and here the story is more detailed.  How the movie has been present in our imaginary we can see by its many connections and references, also on imdb.com.

PPS: Another production about high schoollers that I loved was the TV show Dawson's Creek. There's a good episode at season 1 referring to The Breakfast Club:





No comments:

Post a Comment