2015/08/09

Day 153: My Life as a Dog (August, 9)

So beautiful.

Since the first time I've seen My Life as a Dog (Mitt liv som Hund), almost thirty years ago, I've thought about this movie as a rare gem, very precious. Noticing it on Netflix today, I decided to ascertain if it would be still this way. It is, and more, if possible. It is not for nothing that this movie is one of my greatest loves  in the cinema. 

I was lucky to see it in the big screen, in a rerun a couple of years after his production. But even in my old small TV, it is enchanting, taking us into it in a delicate and yet overwhelming way.  

The young Ingemar conveys so much, it is impossible to summarize. Just his smile carries the whole world. The secondary characters are amazing too, many layers pictured in different people in a small village in Sweden. What they tell us doesn't fit a description. They are incredible, and each one is a tale by themselves.

This movie is a experience, and it is worthy live it. Memories and recognition about my own childhood is there, I think you will be able to see yourself in it too. Probably the most terrifying and playful time of our lives, childhood is not easy. And it is even more challenging for a kid with a sensitive heart as Ingemar. His views about his own predicament is sad and stunning, at least. 

Melancholic, beautiful, accurate, astounding... this movie is many things, but, mostly, it is a must see. If you didn't had the chance to meet Ingemar, you should - and I'm usually cautious to say something like that, because a movie is very intimate, as to say. But I'm sure about My Life as a Dog.  It is a precious tale about loss, coming of age, life. I was very fortunate with my decision to see it today.



My Life as a Dog (Mitt liv som Hund). Directed by Lasse Hallström. With:
Anton Glanzelius
(he is still so cute :), Melinda Kinnaman, Anki Líden.
Sweden, 1985, 101 min., Mono, Color (Netflix).


PS: There was another movie this day, but I haven't much to say about it. Des Vents Contraires is a melancholy story about a father taking care of his two kids after his wife's disappearance. The guy is messed up, as the movie; the kids, as always, get the more difficult slice of a cake that they haven't asked for; the end is a surprise and a chance for redemption. There. This is how I could relate to it. Awful, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment