2015/08/18

Day 160: To Catch a Thief (August, 16)

A Hitchcock marathon at cable reminded me how much I enjoy and admire his movies. At 84, five of his films were returned to the public, and at the late '80s there was many Hitchcock showings in my city. I wasn't aware, though, that those movies hadn't been seen for thirty years. In fact, I've only read about it yesterday, searching about the amazing British filmmaker. 

I've seen To Catch a Thief before, maybe twice even, but I had only a vague recollection of the last roof scene. As I've told here before, many movies that I've watched when I was younger are getting another meaning to me. That seems obvious,  but it is particularly true about the Hollywood productions from the '30s to the '60s. Some of them are ironic, witty, smart, but some of the more subtle elements passed by me unnoticed at the time. And so it is with amazed yes that I see them again, now in my very advanced age point of view :)

Last week was Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman together... On this day, I saw Grant with another amazing co-star, Grace Kelly. Both beautiful and talented actresses had died at 1982, with only three months apart. I was a big fan of both at the time, when I was only 12. Their movies was an important part of my life. Some of them, though, became, as I've said, a vague remembrance. That's why I'm choosing to see some of them again.

Cary Grant never ceases to amaze me, he doesn't need to open his mouth to say a lot. His expressions are hilarious, deep, ironic - they convey so much. Grace Kelly is a sight for the eyes in a witty character, as usually are women in the late Hitchcock's movies - it's odd even how those refreshing aspects walk side by side with a few sexist persistent elements. But the women in his movies usually are very no nonsense, its a joy to see. 

I don't think this will be my last time with this film - at the end, I was thinking about the next time I'll watch it.


To Catch a Thief. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. With: Cary Grant, Grace
Kelly, Jessie Royce Landis. Writers: John Mitchel Heyes from the novel
from the novel by David Dodge. USA, 1955, 106 min., Mono, Color (Cable).

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen anything with Cary Grant. That's how much I urge to educate myself, film wise. But watching Hitchcock's films has been both a great learning and entertaining experience, and I'm sure it must feel even more special rewatching them after all these years. And I wouldn't say advanced-age point of view, but experienced, matured, refined point of view :) okay? I suggest you change that in your post.
    xx

    [ j ]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... actually I'm feeling like I'm 45 years older than I am. And you, as always, are very kind!

    Joe, Cary Grant is amazing! Try to see one of his most famous movies - we could watch one of them together in that movie screening we're always trying to schedule :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. Coming back here to read this once again, now that I finally watched this film, and seeing my comment from two years ago where I say I'd never seen a movie featuring Cary Grant. I'm glad that's changed. He's amazing and I've loved him in everything I've seen since. My favorite ones being Charade and Notorious - but I look at his filmography and I realize I've seen close to nothing, he's made so many movies! As far as Grace Kelly is concerned, what a treat that woman was! I'm happy that I have now seen all three of her collaborations with Alfred Hitchcock, and I love all the characters she portrayed. My favorite would still have to be the captivating Lisa from Rear Window.
      I did quite enjoy To catch a thief, and I agree when you say it's one on the lighter side of Hitchcock pieces, as far as the suspenseful theme goes. It's got fantastic dialogue, which I enjoyed more than anything, along with a beautiful cinematography and those gorgeous colors, especially through the final act, at that masquerade gala. Once again, it's so interesting and fun to experience the female lead characters in his movies, I was watching this last night with a friend and, at first Grace Kelly appears manly as a Goddess-esque vision of a young girl too embarrassed about her mother's behavior, but she soon reveals to be an intelligent, decisive and strong woman who goes after what she wants and who won't take no for an answer. All that while still being gorgeous. It's fascinating to watch.

      Generally, I liked this one very much. I suppose the reveal at the end, even though different from what I had foreseen, was somewhat simplistic in the sense that I kind of expected it to be topped by a second (or even third) plot twist, but hey, that's my problem, not the movie's problem. I've been spoiled like that. The story works just fine. And I love those sickly stunning shades of green throughout.

      And hopefully, in a few years, I'll watch this again with fresher eyes and have a new experience, like one does :)

      [ j ]

      Delete