2015/09/10

Day 185: Barbecue (September, 10)

I had already decided to not see Barbecue when a friend told me how much she had liked it. I was sure that I wouldn't enjoy it as much as she, but I went back on my decision anyway, curious at last to watch this film. 

For me, it was an one hour vacation at Provence, not bad at all. I've read a review about it on imdb.com that was trashing the whole movie - writing, songs, characters... I don't agree, though. I didn't love it, but I could enjoy the time with that group of old friends, reunited on vacation after one of them had a heart attack. The evaluation that he makes about his life after this event is clumsy, shallow, even a bit disastrous. He is right in some points, as when he decides that he should enjoy life better - he was super fit till the heart attack, but he started to question his healthy life style after it. He also decides to say what is on his mind, and his friends are a bit offended by the way he do that. But his way of living is not really challenged, and that he will realise along the last part of the movie.

Actually, there's any big transformation or redemption here, as we could expect in a Hollywood production, for example. And there's no need, I think. What was beautiful here for me was this close group of friends together, each one so different from the other, but good friends since college. I can relate with that, especially with Provence as a background.

People, stop talking and look behind you!

Barbecue. Directed by Eric Lavaine. With: Lambert Wilson, Frank Dubosc,
Florence Foresti. Writers: Héctor Cabello Ryes, Eric Lavaine. France, 2014,
98 min., Dolby, Color (Cinema).




PS: During the first part of this movie, I thought a lot about Haruki Murakami What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. The author tells what running means to him, and he became a runner after he was fifty, if I remember correctly. His recollection of what running is for him is so different of the reasons why Antoine runs in Barbecue. For the last one, it is a obligation in order to stay fit. To Murakami, is a important part of who he is, as we can see by this quote: "When I'm running I don't have to talk to anybody and don't have to listen to anybody. This is a part of my day I can't do without".

PPS: I saw this ad today... That's my hometown <3




No comments:

Post a Comment