2015/09/17

Day 191: The Journey of Natty Gann (September, 16)

Slowly, I'm realizing that in order to keep going on this dare, I need to allow myself to watch some movies in a more relaxed way. I became aware of this on this day specifically, while I was in front of the TV watching The Journey of Natty Gann.

It was morning, I was weaving a new rug for a friend, the breakfast dishes still waiting for me on the sink, when the TV started to show this movie. A young John Cusack was the bigger attractive here, and so I kept on.

First, I thought it would be too sugar coated, and at some points, especially at the end, it really is. However, this story of a girl that crosses the US to meet her father at the time do the great depression is gripping, sometimes terrifying. Although aimed to a family audience, the many risks of such a journey are presented, but in a more subtle manner. Everything goes wrong for Natty, it's unbelievable. My initial concern that this movie wouldn't deliver were for nothing, even if the overly sentimental ending took a bit of its intensity.

The Journey of Natty Gann. Directed by Jeremy Kagan. With: Meredith
Salenger, John Cusack, Ray Wise. Writer: Jeanne Rosenberg. USA, 1985,
101 min., Doby Stereo, Black and White/Color (Cable TV).






No comments:

Post a Comment