2015/12/01

Day 264: Self/Less (November, 28)


I'm not sure why some movies, good ones, pass unnoticed. 

Self/Less is one of them. It is not super great and all, but it is an interesting sci-fi. Nice pace, intriguing plot (even if too known), good action. The New Orleans montage are fairly beautiful, actually. 

However, in a better thinking, it is pretty forgettable. It doesn't linger, as many thoughtful sci-fi stories use to. But it is a nice entertainment, on a quiet Saturday night, after a busy day.

Donald Trump's apartment: the most horrible place I've ever seen.
Self/Less. Directed by Tarsem Singh.  With: Ryan Reynolds, Matthew Goode,
Ben Kingsley. Writers: David Pastor, Alex Pastor. EUA, 2015, 117 min., Dolby
Digital, Color (Netflix).


4 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience. And I had expectations for this, because it was directed by one of my favorite directors, but it just wasn't a great film. As you said, not bad, but pretty forgettable. Nonetheless, you should watch The Fall (you've got my BluRay of it), that was a stellar Tarsem's master piece. Plus: Lee Pace <3

    I swear I'll be back here soon to comment on the last few months' posts
    xx

    [ j ]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know, I thought a lot about you during this movie - I know that The Cell is one of your favorites.

      Sorry for keeping you DVD for so long... I promise I'll see it soon :)

      Delete
    2. oh my, please, don't worry. I've seen it plenty. I want YOU to see it now, on your time. don't worry.
      But yea, this was a bit of a let down. I'm yet to see Mirror Mirror, it's the only film of Tarsem's that I haven't seen.
      Speaking of let downs, I was really excited about M. Night Shyamalan's new flick, The Visit. Boy, did I hate that film. I'll just say it was not good. I really believe now that he's lost his touch. Shame. As for Tarsem, I'll give him a few more shots, I still believe in him.

      [ j ]

      Delete
    3. I didn't hate The Visit, but I thought it was a bit disconnected sometimes. That mix of suspense and comedy didn't feel right to me. I was really scared until the wtf end. I understood what Shyamalan tried to do, but it didn't work at all for me.

      Delete