2015/12/16

Day 280: The Visit (December, 14)

It is not too much to state that I was fairly confused at the end of The Visit. At this point, I surely expect anything from M. Night Shyamalan. But at the last scene on this movie my only reaction was: what. More specifically, wtf.

That's why the first thing I did when I got home back from the movies was seek some info on trivia about this film on imdb.com. It was with relief that I've read that this story is intended as a horror/comedy. The last one is too bizarre (the horror part is so much convincing), but at least it was intentional.

My niece and her friends sat together in the auditorium, far from me. I was alone at the front seats, clutching my purse in fear. The kind of mockumentary horror movie, in which the scenes are captured by one of the characters, is really scary. The Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity series are famous just for that. And there's a funny thing about capturing somethin scary on camera. It reminds me those scary places in amusement parks in which we go through some horror chamber by foot. We know that isn't real, that those fake Michael Myers will not kill us, but it is scary as hell. So it is the images on this kind of fake documentary. There's something there that let us very exposed.

And I was truly scary, until the last moments, when the scareful scenes gave place to some bizarre horror movies references. That was when I thought that maybe I wasn't sure about what I was seeing.

I enjoy the way M. Night films, the quiet shots, close on the werd characters, long silences... But I think that, once again, I'll stay with The Sixth Sense when the subject is Shyamalan.


The Visit. Directed and written by M. Night Shyamalan. With: Olivia DeJonge,
Ed Oxenbould, Deanna Dunagan. USA, 2015, 94 min., SDDS/Datasat/Dolby
Digital, Color (CInema). 




PS: I saw The Sixth Sense for the first time at a movies on Vancouver, during the time I was there studying for a couple of months. My english was even worse than it is today. So, at the end, I was pretty confuse. Oops, I thought, is it what am I thinking? I was alone, no one to ask about it. Right after I went back home, I've saw it once more, just to be sure :)

PPS: I've just seen Ed Oxenbould for the first time last week, in Alexander and the Horrible... When we came back home, I put the movie on the DVD player for my niece and her friends. He has a good timing for comedy, being funny even in the most scary moments of today's movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment