2015/12/28

Day 287: Bronson (December, 21)

Holly mother of a homeless god.

I've heard a lot about Bronson, with the always surprising Tom Hardy - he is proving what he is capable of for sure. Joe had told me about it, as some other friends. But we can never realize how fierce a movie and a story is until we are in front of the unbelievable.

Such a story couldn't be less astonishing, uncomfortable, astounding. And beautiful, of course. It is filmmaking in some of its best. We always can expect a lot from Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn, from the stunning Drive. He deals with violence in such a maner, there's a few filmmakers that does the same (Hello, David Fincher and Michael Hannecke). I still have to see Only God Forgives, his most controversial film, but I'm expecting a lot despite the low ratings.

There's so much that is said by Bronson beyond what we see. Every bit of this movie is a masterpiece. It is not an easy movie, let me be clear. I felt suffocating most of the time. Joe asked me if I had liked it, and I told him how, for me, like is a week way to describe what I felt. My feelings were too strong for that, as it happens in some seriously violent and accurate stories (as Haneke's The White Ribbon, for example). But if by "like" it would mean that I thought it was incredibly genious, I can surely say that I like it a lot.

Bronson. Directed by Nicholas Winding Refn. With: Tom Hardy. Writers:
Nicholas Winding Refn, Brock Norman Brock. UK, 2008, 92 min., Dolby
Digital, Color (Netflix).


PS: December, 21st: Dash & Lily Book of Dares' day! Every year, from some time now, I re-read this beloved book by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan following the diegetic days in the narrative. The books begins at December, 21st and ends at January, 1st. Dash and Lily are apparently so different, but both are actually very similar. And it is not a surprise that their mind find in the a notebook a perfect way to express themselves. Read this book is becoming a Christmas tradition for me, one that I'll share with you along these 10 days with Dash and Lily. Both have a sharp intelligence, turning the written reflexions in some heartfelt confessions. Dash is overly cynical; Lily's too sweet - together, they find ways of be beyond their familiar spectrum The dialogues here are great, and so I envision 10 days of a good time with one of my favorite books <3
One last thought: if you care too much about age classification, I should warn you that this book is named as Young Adult lit. 
December, 21st

I nearly fell off the ladder. 
Are you going to be playing for the pure thrill of unreluctant desire?
I was,  to put it mildly, aroused by the phrasing. (Dash, page 16).

Sometimes I wonder what it would feel like to venture to the darker side if the Lily-white spectrum. Maybe. (Lilly, page 22).

PPS: My own red moleskine, a thoughtful and incredible birthday gift by the super amazing Mandy and Mel <3 <3 








1 comment:

  1. Oh, man. This film is a gem. Apart from presenting Tom Hardy in one of the most brilliant, beautifully expressive acting gigs of his career, this movie displays violence and a true-events-based story through such powerful storytelling. By having the main character tell his own life story out to a full theatre audience and, in doing so, become the narrator for the audience on the other side of the screen, the script breaks down the violent tale into chunks, giving us room for air, while a rather exciting and invigorating version of Bronson entertains us with pure theatrical dramaticity. The combination itself is such a concept, it enriches the film to a higher level. That Nicholas Winding Refn is one genius bastard of a director! And he wrote the damn thing too!!

    Now... I just finished watching Only God forgives. And I'm dying with anxiety because it's 1:40 a.m. and I have to wait until tomorrow to tell you how you MUST definitely watch it as soon as you can. O.M.G. I will text you early tomorrow to discuss it. Can't wait for you to watch it so we can talk about it.

    [ j ]

    ReplyDelete