2016/01/08

Day 301: Finding Nemo (January 4)

I was actually shocked to hear that my 7 years old nephew had never seen Finding Nemo. He was at my home when he told me that, and I immediately put the movie on DVD. Because, hello, it is Nemo, one of the best movies in the whole world. 

He just loved it, of course. I was a bit worried at first, though. When I showed it to my niece when she was 3 years old, she was shaken at the first scene. I never would thought it would be that way - how different is to see an animation with adults and with a kid. It seems obvious, but I never really realized that before this day, when I had to pause the DVD to calm her. She was too inconsolable actually. My nephew was sad, for sure, but not like her. And soon he had forget about it, especially when the amazing Dory makes her first cameo on screen. By the way, she was the reason why we were talking about this movie. He had with him an old happy meal Dory's toy with him, but didn't know what it was about. 

This movie didn't get old. It is still funny, an amazing adventure, that goes beyond all the explicit lessons that one can point in the story. It is ironic, funny, endearing, sweet in its amazing details. I love Crush and the turtles (Laggies has a funny reference to it), it is for sure my favorite part. I love Dory too, course, and I'm happy that there will be a movie about her. I'm even more glad that I had the opportunity to see it again, with my dear little boy, amazed in front of such a good story. 

Finding Nemo. Directed by Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich. With: Albert
Brooks, Ellen DeGeneres, Alexander Gould. Writers: Andrew Stanton et
al. USA, 2003, 100 min., DTS-ES/Dolby Digital EX/SDDS, Color (DVD).

2 comments:

  1. You're right, this movie is timeless, it'll never get old nor tired. I hold a special place in my heart for Finding Nemo, it is, to this day, my favorite Disney/Pixar film. Last year, Inside Out came out as strong competition, but Nemo still holds the 1st place. So many memorable scenes and quotable lines from this, I could never forget them and they take me right back to my teens. It's quite special.
    I cannot wait for Finding Dory, I've been crazy excited about it ever since they announced it in 2012. So yea, four years of patient waiting. It's like waiting for a new season of Sherlock – takes forever, but it pays off.
    Oh, and I've got Laggies pretty advanced on my list, it's gonna happen soon. It's just that, at the moment, I'm going for horror/thriller/crime/mystery/suspense pieces. Some have been good, some not so much.

    [ j ]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about them! As you keep telling me, OMAD is lacking some horror movies!

      I was pleasantly surprised to realize how Finding Nemo is still relevant. I'm a bit afraid of reruns just because of the opposite: see that a beloved film is missing what was so important to me some time ago. It is silly, I know. Glad that it didn't happen with Nemo, Dory and Marlin (and the amazing surfing turtles!!!! And the terrible Darla :)

      Delete