2016/01/11

Day 306: Sea Fog (January, 9)

Before watching Sea Fog (Haemoo), I've read that it would be better to see this movie without knowing the less possible about it. Go blind, said the comment. I try to do that with every film I see, but it is not easy sometimes. And in some cases, this is more true than in others. Here it is in fact important.

I knew about the plot, and that's ok. The rest was an astounding surprise, and I was in shock. Truly crushed. Haemoo couldn't be more relevant nowadays. And that's why it is so horrifying. A actual horror story. A true horror story, by the way. Another comment referred how some stories tell us not to forget, and this is one of them. We cannot forget and allow things like this happen. A thousand times no more. Please. There must be a way out of all this.

I couldn't believe in what I was seeing - and we see this at the news with frightening frequency. Nothing is granted, there's no redeeming features, nothing to give any kind of hope. It's despair, injustice, cruelty, disregard for human lives, fights for surviving, lost hopes, broken hearts. it's all there, and I couldn't get my eyes away from the screen even for a second.

Hameoo. Directed by Sung-Bo Shim. With: Yun-Seok Kim, Yoo-Chum Park,
Ye-Ri Han. Writers: Yun-Seok Kim, Joon Ho Bong. South Korea, 2014,
111 min., Dolby Digital, Color (Cable TV). 

PS: Downton Abbey season 6, episodes 6, 7, 8 and Christmas special. I was crying my eyes out at the end, an ending to make everybody happy for sure, but still so heartbreaking. My cute, tough and very skeptical mother looked me at the end and said: look, a tear on my eye:) 

2 comments: