2016/01/14

Day 308: Spotlight + Star Wars: The Force Awakens (for the third time - January, 11)

I don't have a distinct penchant for movies based on facts, the famous based on a true story thing. I don't dislike them, not at all, but I'm very suspicious of such an adaptation of true events. Usually, the story is better than the film itself, what I found out to be sad even. Some lives and people would deserve better movies, and not only an okay production about their amazing achievements. As a teacher told me once, revolutionary subjects demand equally stunning formats. We don't see it often (Bronson is a remarkable exception).


This feeling somewhat changed for me during Spotlight. The special feature on Tom McCarthy movies in comparison to others with a similar approach (as All the President's Man, for example, quoted by both McCarthy and Michael Keaton as an important influence) is how the investigative reporters are depicted: they look real, and are not just based on real people. They are truly shaken by what they are investigating, and we see them in their daily lives dealing with such a terrible discover - one that questions essential beliefs. We can relate to them, and not just admire their courage in doing a great job in denouncing an horrid child's abuse scheme on the grounds of catholic church. That made all the difference to me. 

I was in tears most of the movie.

The saddest and terrifying thing about the kind of work that Spotlight does is that, fundamental as it is, they don't change the world. It creates awareness about important matters, but the crimes don't stop. I'm saying that not to diminish the work of these amazing journalists, though. I'm just trying to explain my state of mind at the end of this movie: absolute terror and sadness.

Mark Ruffalo I love, and I'm happy that his performance here just got a nod from the Academy - he is indicating for best actor in a supporting role for Stpotlight, as Rachel McAdams. The funny thing for me is that I wasn't able to consider them as individuals here (sorry, guys, I know it is unfair with your hard work on this movie). They looked as an unit to me - the two of them plus Michael Keaton and Liev Shreiber, amazing as the quiet and persistent Marty Baron. Maybe it is a sign of how truly good they are here. Because of that, despite the story being the main protagonist for me, as usually happens on this kind of movies, I thought Spotlight is a remarkable movie too, with great performances and direction, what was indeed a pleasantly surprise (I wasn't expecting much).

PS: I loved the slainté cameo <3


Spotlight. Directed by Tom McCarthy. With: Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton,
Rachel McAdams. Writers: Josh Singer, Tom McCarthy. USA, 2015, 128 min.,
Dolby Digital, Color (Cinema).


Leaving the theater, I saw that the auditorium nearby was showing Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The screening was about to begin, I had a 3D glasses in my purse (yep) and just the previous day I had thought how I needed to see it once more time. So it was, an unexpected double feature on this day. 

I love Oscar Isaac on this, and I'm expecting more of him on the next instalments of this last Star Wars' trilogy. I'm happy for his Golden Globe Show Me a Hero - I haven't see it yet, but I'm glad anyway. Probably we'll see a lot of him in the future, I hope. 

One thought that came to mind during this third time with The Force Awakens is how Harrison Ford fell right into Han Solo after so many more traditional roles on the last years - he got younger even, inside and outside the screen. It is beautiful to see what a role do to an actor. 

I was a bit bored at the beginning, thinking how it was a bad decision to re-watch it after such a strong story as Spotlight, but soon i saw myself once more immersed in the good action and characters. I love that this movie is so nostalgic (George Lucas, I'm sorry to say you're an idiot, with all respect of course) at the same time it opens the way for what is new. And all that reboot theories? Sorry folks, I usually try to understand and emphasize to different opinions, but is is such a silly stubborn criticism that there's no way to even give it a second thought. I'm pretty adamant about it actually. Please, try to focus on what is new and different here, and in what is a true respect to the original story. Maybe you'll have a better time with this story someday, out of you stubbornly ways :)


Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Directed by J.J. Abrams. With: Daisy Ridley,
John Boyega, Oscar Isaac. Writers: Lawrence Kasdan, J.J. Abrams , Michael
Arndt, from the characters created by George Lucas. USA, 2015, 135 min.,
12-Track Digital Sound/Solby Atmos/Dolby Surround 7.1/Dolby Digital, Color (Cinema).

The Hunger, 1983
Today I went to sleep at 5 am under the utter sadness of David Bowie's passing. At the age of 69, after a struggle with a cancer that was not reported publicly. It was a big shock, though, especially after Bowie's birthday on January, 8th and the release of his last album. Too much, too unexpected, too sad.


Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, 1983
As we talking about movies here, I must say that I love some of his movies. The Hunger, of course, one of my favorites in life. I thought about watching it today, but I couldn't. As I've said, too much. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence is another outstanding film, and Bowie is amazing in here. As he is in Labyrinth, a movie that now way I'll let you tell me is not perfect.

And there's the movies that refer to Bowie. One that no one would think to see, I guess, but that is a nice and endearing is Bandslam - I was not expecting much when I took my niece to see it, but the homage to Bowie was a good surprise. Another movie I'm watching right now, at my home, with the said niece: The Perks of Being Invisible. I almost cried out loud at Heroes scene when I saw it for the first time at the movies. My tears carried a different tone this time. "The tunel song" is a perfect alias, by the way. Golden Years as a reference to the wrong idea of the Middle Age as the dark ages was great in A Knight's Tale. There's so many more, impossible to name them all.


Labyrinth, 1986

I saw Bowie alive once, the first concert I saw out of my town - and it is much, because no artist except a few as Sting had been in my squared hometown at those times. I was ecstatic, so happy to see him alive. For weeks after, the only sound on my Walkman was Bowie. He is a constant on my life, and will always be. As Alejandro González Iñárritu said on his acceptance speech as best director on the Globes 2016, moments before the wold was aware of its great loss, "...we all in this room know very well that pain is temporary, but a film is forever, right?". He was talking about the extremely difficult production of The Revenant, but we can use this quote in here too. Because Bowie is forever, no matter the place he chose to shine right now. The brilliant Starman.





No comments:

Post a Comment