2016/01/26

Day 320: Unbreakable (January, 23)

Yep, it is true. I hadn't watched Unbreakable until this day. I know exactly why, although it doesn't guarantee a plausible explanation. I usually miss a fair amount of good movies on the theater for silly reasons. In this case, I wasn't too excited to see another M. Night Shyamalan film with Bruce Willis right after the big surprise that was The Sixth Sense (1999). The same happened after Oblivion (2013), with Tom Cruise, making me see a great Sci-fi flick as Edge of Tomorrow (2014) on the small screen of my tv. You've been warned. Me, myself and my nonsense criteria for choosing movies.

I'm sorry to say it was overcooked. Maybe I could have liked this movie better 16 years ago. Or maybe not, suffice to say that it's impossible to say. It is not that I didn't enjoy it. I surely did. It is very different from what I expected at first. There's a quiet pace for an action movie, suspenseful, introvert even.

Bruce Wills and Samuel L. Jackson are an interesting duo, and we're not sure to where the story is heading until the very end. Just there, at the end, resides the problem for me: if this movies was a part of a series, it would make better sense. The explanatory info at the end, as happens in films based on true events, put me on a anti-climatic state. "Really?" was my main thought. My face during the final credits was showing all my incredulity. But that was on me, actually. It took me too long to reach Unbreakable, and it is not my place to blame Shyamalan for that :)


Unbreakable. Directed and written by M. Night Shyamalan. With: Bruce
Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, Robin Wright. USA, 2000, 106 min., Dolby
Digital Ex/SDDS/DTS-ES, Color (Netflix).



1 comment:

  1. Thank you! A lot! I'm happy that OMAD is reaching so many moviegoers even after two years of the last entry... It is a very special project to me. I hope to see you here again soon!

    ReplyDelete