2016/03/05

Day 362: White God (March, 5)

FOUR

That was weird, for sure.


When I woke up today, at 10:30am, I decided to reach a 11am screening of White God (Fehér insten). As I'm not able to leave my home without a shower and straightening the bed (I'm getting old, guys), I had to hurry in order to not miss the beginning (I hate when this happens). I entered the movie theater at the moment when the whole auditorium went dark, kicked my shin on a seat, went limping to my favorite third row and waited to see what would happen in front of me.


I had no idea whatsoever what this movie was about. I knew there was a girl and a dog and some conflict. At the first half an hour I thought how cleverly the movie was addressing how kids and animals are subjected to abuse by adults. They have no choice about their own lives, and are disrespected continuously. I was crying most of the time, because it was so easy to prevent the worse events in here. So easy, but the lack of attention and care would lead to so much pain.

I was just thinking how the theme was discussed in an ordinary setting when the hell broke loose. Everything blew up and I was astounded. I'm sure I had big eyes and a horrified expression on my face. Sometimes, I was almost sneering until I understood what this film is about. Because I haven't realised that this is a horror movie. Yes, that's right. What looked like a small indie movie is an artsy smart horror story. I would have laughed if I was not so terrorized, because I hadn't expected it at all.

The movie is Manichean for sure. The bad that abuse the indefensible good. They must get what they deserve at the end, in an evil quest by an once sweet dog. Jeez, it is weird. Some part are genius, the general idea is accurate and relevant, but... yes, there's some buts in here. They don't compromise the importance of such a story about an abuse that goes on and on and it is hideous. Insufferable, unwarranted, absurd. However, there's a weight in here that prevents this story to be absolutely brilliant, some red alerts against a heaviness that takes some of the strength of this movie. Said that, it is important to say that movies like this are fundamental. 


Those two <3

Fehér isten. Directed  by Kornéi Mundruczo. Cast: Zsófia Psotta, Sándor Szótér,
Lili Horváth, Body, Luke. Writers: Kornéi Mundruczo, Viktória Petrányi, Kata
Wéber. Hungary/German/Sweden, 2014, 121 min., Color (Cine Brasília).


PS: Except from the twins Body and Luke, that played Hagen, all the 280 dogs used on the movie came from shelters and were adopted at the end of the production :)


No comments:

Post a Comment