2017/05/03

PS: A few words - Notting Hill + A Knight's Tale (May, 3)

Once more, a dare fulfilled!

In this sort of second instalment on OMAD, I had in mind a new dare, to watch a movie per day during the time I'd be on a wheels' chair because of a broken knee. It was the best idea, I must say. Everyday, a bit discouraged for spending so much idle time at home thinking about how the heck I had the terrible idea of changing that light bulb, I had a reason to make a coffee, seat at the table on my surprisingly comfy new chair, and write my thoughts about a movie. I had a motive to get out of bed, to get out of a impending lethargy, and do what I love in this life: whatching movies and talking/writing about them. It was a good idea, I think. I hadn't noticed, before that, how I've missed OMAD. And I'll cherish this extra time with the blog for sure.

So it came the time I could walk again and,  as established from the beginning, it marked the end of the addendum to OMAD. Despite a not so smooth return to the track (I'm on wheels again), I don't intend to continue the dare. I'm sure I'll be back on my feet permanently soon, and not just for a few (happy) days! So, here come some last words on a wonderful time with my dear blog, the movies that are part of it and the friends that give a meaning to it.

Equals
There were 50 films this (extra) time, one per day - initially, it would be 30, but I had miscalculated the time I would stay with my feet on the air :) It started with Equals, by Drake Doremus, a director who amazed me with The Brand New Testament and disappointed me with Le Huitième Jour. And it ended with Alfred Hitchcock and his Rear Window, a piece that I just adore and had watched so many times before, but that I haven't seen for a while. By the way, this movie about a photographer who, stuck to a whells' chair, unveils a murder, was the fifth production by Hitchcock in the addendum - the most frequent filmmaker in the history of OMAD.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Other frequent attendance, as to say, were some good surprises. Taika Waititi, who I first met with the amazing Hunt for The Wilderpeople, has his four feature film in here. Nicolas Refn Winding, who I love since Drive, gave us three of his outstanding movies, and it is difficult to say which was my favorite, each one incredibly special in its own way.  Jeff Nichols and Charlie McDowell I haven't met before, and were both good surprises, specially because of  Midnight Special and The Discovery respectively. Abbas Kiarostami I admired before, admiration that increased with his two movies in this dare, Taste of Cherry and The Wind will Carry Us, both truly remarkable.

It was interesting the way I kept fixed on some filmmakers, watching many of their productions on a roll, something I 'm not used to do. This time, however, I saw myself rooked to some genres and the production of some filmmakers, what lead me to stay with them longer than I had thought at first.

The Station Agent
Among these 50 films, seven I'd already seen before, all of them worthy revisiting: Labyrinth, Rebecca, Arrival, Dial M for Murder, Take Care, Committed, Rear Window. Arrival, btw, I'll see for many, many times.

The most grateful surprise in this second-chance-dare, maybe, was The Station Agent and its endearing, sweet take on people, loneliness, life, loss, true connection. Other movies as The Fall, Julieta, Interiors, Demolition and, in a smaller note, The fundamentals of Caring were really,  truly special too. However, it is with The Station Agent that a smile comes to my face, always. Both Kiarostami productions stay in a separated category, the one for out of this world films (maybe Interiors is also  a member of this club).

The biggest punch on the face? Elle, for sure, even among Refn's The Neon Demon and Only God Forgives. Paul Verhoeven is not kidding in service, and this is a must-see for sure. I was amazed and unsettled by it, as only great movies are capable of.

Again, as before, I'm truly grateful for the idea of this blog, which gave and gives purpose, meaning, joy to what would be mostly an empty day. I'll try to be equally dedicated to my other daring blog, being aware, however, of how I'm still too attached to this one.

To end things in the traditional (!) way, here's two movies to talk about on this last post.

Without any specific purpose, now I'm allowing myself to channel surfing. Ramdomly, I found Notting Hill just starting, and, as usual, I wasn't able to stop watching it. This movie is so good, Richard Curtis is a master in the craft of captivating, funny, ironic romantic coms. Secondary characters are so fundamental to the story as the main couple, and they're great. The "Ain't no sunshine" sequence is one of my favorites in life. When I saw this movie for the first time, I was so heartbroken. The last scene, the plain intimacy and casualness of it, almost led me to tears. Now, I just smile, recognizing something that was never meant to be.

I was very happy to revisit it, as I was the next day, again looking for a movie without purpose, only to find...

...Another movie that I cannot turn off: A Knight's Tale. I'm always too happy for my own sake when I have the chance to see it. The pop culture references (Foxy lady!), the characters, seeing Paul Bethany for the first time, falling in love with Heath Ledger, James Purefoy saying "take a knee"... Alan Tudyk is so hysterically good here as in Death at a Funeral. Ruffus Sewel is a villain here :( The cast, by the way, it is a important feature to highlight, it is just perfection, as the characters they give us in an interesting interpretation of the Middle Ages.

I think this film was a sort of an oracle, showing us how popular the Medieval period was turning out to be. The anachronisms in the movie refer to that. It also is a way to go against, I think, the idea of a dark age associated to this time - the Golden Years' rendition (amazing) is an evidence of that idea, and another one of my favorite sequences.

A Knight's Tale is such a happy journey. I caught myself repeating the lines along with the characters, laughing at (and with) them as if it was the first time. There will be many others, for sure.  I suggest the extras on the DVD, specially the commented version - it is a great fun, as the movie itself.

Notting Hill. Directed by Roger Michell. Cast: Julia Roberts, Hugh Grant, Rhys Ifans.
Writer: Richard Curtis.  UK/USA, 1999, DTS/Dolby Digital/SDDS, Color, 124 min. (Cable).


A Knight's Tale. Directed and written by Brian Helgeland. Cast: Heath Ledger,
Shannyn Sossamon, Rufus Sewel. USA, 2001, DTS/Dolby Digital/SDDS, Color,
132 min. (Cable).


That's all, folks. We stop this addendum with the statistics pointing a total of more then 83.100 views, a number that has increasing every month. I'm not sure about this number. However, if only you, right there, are reading this, I'm truly grateful. If you are not, still I'm amazed by this dare anyway, thanking harder days that gave me the idea of sharing my life more closely with movies, an act that has been giving sense to my days and way of living for a long, long time. .

See y'a!





No comments:

Post a Comment